There is no denying the advantages that the internet offers to scammers like Connor Paddon and as the awareness to its use increases, the instances of transgressions are only going to increase. This has created huge opportunities in security firms that deal with issues raised with the use of the medium. That the internet is the medium of the future is without any doubt but the security issue is a major part of its drawbacks.
How Connor Paddon takes Advantage of the Internet
- Anonymity: There is no practical way of verifying that a person on the internet is who he claims to be. The advancement of technologies would only aid in creating electronic identities and although steps have been taken to root out mischief, there exists good vistas for its propagation.
- Speed: The transactions and communications across the internet occur at break neck speeds. This is taken advantage to by crooks to make possible their designs and it is this very speed and ability that keeps the medium cheap to operate and use. Thus curbing a positive side to help rein the negative aspect is not going to happen any time soon.
- Interchangeability of places: It is possible to make belief that a person is located from a different place than what it appears. This is caused by the free adaptability of the medium and efforts have been made to keep this bit of the internet free from abuse.
- Technology neutral: It is possible to have different standards all operating on the same backbone, the internet. This is an aspect that has contributed the most to the free adaptation of the technology and curbing it would be tantamount to throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
- Future ready: The most advanced of technologies along with the most redundant of standards all operate at one time on the medium. Thus the cost of using and maintaining the system is reduced as a wide range of equipment can operate on the internet all at the same time.
Steps to Curb Misuse of the System
- Traceability: The rampant misuse has ensured that more robust systems are developed that can be scaled to meet the requirements of the future. The adaptability of the internet is one of the key reasons for its success in such a short time frame.
- Accountability: The improved technologies have introduced the concept of knowing who does what. This has reduced the once free for all nature of the medium.
The best of platforms that the internet is turning out to be has brought with it its pitfalls as well. Even the best technologies are bound to be misused no matter the precautions that are used in place. Thus a strong policing of the medium with heavy price for transgressions are what would help in the long run. The medium must be brought to a level of self control that could see its free growth as well as its advancements.